What To Bring

Use the tax checklist below to find the documents and forms you'll need to get started.

Personal Information

• Your social security number or tax ID number and date of birth

• Your spouse's full name and social security number or tax ID number and date of birth

Dependent(S) Information

• Full Name (As reported on social security card)

• Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

• Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

• Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources Of Income

• Employed

o Forms W-2

• Unemployed

o Unemployment (1099-G)

• Self-Employed

o Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s

o Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts

o Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

o Office in home information, if applicable

o Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

• Rental Income

o Records of income and expenses

o Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

o Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

• Retirement Income

o Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

o Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

o Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

• Savings & Investments or Dividends

o Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

o Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

o Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

o Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

o Expenses related to your investments

o Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)

• Other Income & Losses

o Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

o state tax refund (1099-G)

o Jury duty records

o Hobby income and expenses

o Prizes and awards

o Trusts

o Royalty Income 1099 Misc.

o Any other 1099s received

o Record of alimony paid/received with Ex-spouse’s name and SSN

Types Of Deductions

• Home Ownership

o Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

o Real estate and personal property tax records

o Receipts for energy-saving home improvements

o All other 1098 series forms

• Charitable Donations

o Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

o Records of non-cash charitable donations

o Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

• Medical Expenses

o Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals

• Health Insurance

o Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)

o Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source

• Childcare Expenses

o Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler.

o Wages paid to a baby-sitter. Don't include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work.

• Educational Expenses

o Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

o Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

o Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

o Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest

• Job Expenses & Tax Prep Fees

o Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)

o Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

o Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)

o Job-hunting expenses

o Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer

o Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return 

• State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax

o Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid

o Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

• Retirement & Other Savings

o Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

o Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

o All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

• Federally Declared Disaster

o City/county you lived/worked/had property in

o Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean up costs, etc.)

o Records of rebuilding/repair costs

o Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

o FEMA assistance information

o Check FEMA site to see if my county has been declared a federal disaster area

Highlighted in red represents  No longer deductible in 2018

New clients bring a copy of last years filed taxes